Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Tree that Needed to be Photographed

I got a phone call the other day and the message was simple. There is a tree in Salisbury that needs to be photographed.  Apparently my father rides his bike past it every now and then and tried to describe it to me. To make a long story short here is what I saw.



There is no reason that this tree should be alive, its entire interior has been eaten away by something. My father could literally climb inside and peer outward.




From almost every angle this tree just screams dead.



However, when you take a second look you will not only notice the leaves but more impressing is the fact that this tree is literally covered with life.




This tree is the embodiment of the circle of life. The leaves and mosses are converting the sun's energy into food, the tree itself is providing animals with food and shelter. The fungi and lichen are converting the decomposing portions back to hydro-carbons.

No comments:

Post a Comment